So, you want to become a homeowner?
Please read this page carefully, and then apply for our next homeowner orientation at the bottom of this page.
What you need to know
Each Habitat Affiliate builds in their own county, and each runs on a different building schedule. Therefore, if you are willing to consider living in a county other than Gwinnett, you can find the contact information for other Habitat Affiliates by going to the general Habitat website: www.habitat.org. (Along the lower left side
of the home page you will see a search box entitled “Find Your Local Habitat for Humanity” - enter your local zip code there and it will bring up a list of all the Affiliate offices for your area.) It may be they will have meetings and/or properties available before we do.
To partner with us, you must meet the following preliminary criteria:
- Must be a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States.
- You must have lived or worked in Gwinnett County for at least the last 12 months. Affiliates for other vicinities can be found at www.habitat.org.
- Your yearly income must fall within our income guidelines, which are adjusted for family size (refer to Income Table on the Selection Criteria page). Income includes wages, Social Security, disability, SSI, TANF, and child support. See below for income guidelines.
- You must have one year of continuous income.
- You must have a reasonably good credit history. It must be at least two years since you discharged any bankruptcies, and you must be making payments on your debts.
- You must have a need for housing because your current housing is
unaffordable, unsafe, or overcrowded
- You must partner with Gwinnett Habitat and contribute "sweat equity,” helping to build your home as well as other families homes, and attend a minimum of ten educational workshops. All families must complete a total of 250 hours.
Income Guidelines for Homeowner Selection
- $37,400 is 35% of Gwinnett County Median income of $74,800 for a family of 4 and the starting point for all minimum calculations per HUD guidelines.
- NOTE: Gwinnett Habitat utilizes a $26,200 minimum for a 1-person family due to construction costs of the homes we can provide in our area.
- $44,880 is 60% of Gwinnett County Median Income of $74,800 as established by HUD and as starting point for all maximum calculations per HUD guidelines.
If you can meet these criteria, then the next step would be attending one of our Applicant Orientation meetings. Here we will explain the full requirements of our program, and you can obtain an application form.
Gwinnett County Habitat for Humanity pledges to the letter and spirit of U.S. and state policies for the achievement of equal housing. We do not eliminate applicants or discriminate because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, family status, ethnicity, national origin, or public assistance as a source of income.
Funding assistance provided to Gwinnett County Habitat for Humanity, Inc. by the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners, through HOME Investment Partnership Act [HOME] Program funds awarded to Gwinnett County by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
*Disclaimer: Currently we do not have any meetings scheduled. We are looking to have an orientation in the Fall of 2018. Once you fill out this form, your contact information will also be added to our mailing list. When the dates and times of our next meetings have been confirmed, you will be sent a notification email.