Do you want to partner with Gwinnett Habitat to become a homeowner?
Please read this page carefully, and then register to be notified of our next Homeowner Applicant Orientation Session at the bottom of this page.
Gwinnett Habitat for Humanity uses three criteria to determine whether or not a family qualifies for our homeownership program. The following must be met:
Need for better housing
Potential homeowners must be:
- Currently experiencing overcrowded, unhealthy, or inadequate housing
- Paying more than 30% of their income on rent
- Living in handicap inaccessible homes
- Or experiencing other shelter needs
Willingness to partner
Throughout the year-long build season, homeowners invest their time and energy into their future homes through:
- 250 hours of "sweat equity" helping to build your own home or the homes of others in the program
- 10+ workshops focused on financial literacy, budgeting, credit management, estate planning, home/yard maintenance, and more
Ability to pay
Our homeownership program is a hand-up, not a hand-out.
- The homes are sold to families through affordable, no-interest, no-profit mortgages
- Our partner families must be able to pay a monthly mortgage payment for their new home. See below chart for our income guidelines.
- Must be a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States.
- You must have lived or worked in Gwinnett County for at least the last 12 months. Affiliates for other vicinities can be found at www.habitat.org.
- Your yearly income must fall within the below income guidelines, which are adjusted for family size.
- You must have one year of continuous income.
- You must have a reasonably good credit history. It must be at least two years since you discharged any bankruptcies, and you must be making payments on your debts.
HUD 2020 Income Guidelines for Homeowner Selection - See Below
- This chart is based on the Gwinnett County Median income of $82,700.
- Income includes wages, Social Security, disability, SSI, TANF, and child support.
Our Selection Process:
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in applying, the next step would be to attend a Homeowner Applicant Orientation session. These sessions explain the full requirements of our program and give you access to the application.
We are now accepting applications for two Veteran Homeowners. The application cycle is open from April 3rd through May 8th at 4:00 PM EST. Visit the page below to learn more about the program requirements and access the online application.
Our full application cycle will open in late Summer 2020 for the 2021 build season. The next orientation session will be held in August 2020. Register using the orange button below to receive email updates when this orientation session is scheduled.
Gwinnett Habitat for Humanity pledges to the letter and spirit of U.S. and state policies for the achievement of equal housing. We do not eliminate applicants or discriminate because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, family status, ethnicity, national origin, or public assistance as a source of income.
Funding assistance provided to Gwinnett Habitat for Humanity, Inc. by the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners, through HOME Investment Partnership Act [HOME] Program funds awarded to Gwinnett County by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).